Wednesday 29 October 2014

World settings|COP3

During the second tutorial, which we did in small groups, I presented the work I done so far for the practical element. The feedback I got was mostly about what the world settings/history are and how it informs design decisions. I've a idea of what my world will look like in my head, but after the session I decided to write it all down.
The aim of my practical element is to create a set of characters that will be appealing to the mainstream audience, people who are either in their teens or older and play a lot MMO games (wherever they are player vs player arena based or more traditional role-play games). I'll look at the eastern MMO games, like Final Fantasy XIV or Ragnarok, to inform the style of the concepts.
World settings: fantasy, inspired by Final Fantasy series, magic and technology blends together. There are races that are less advanced than the others and don't use the advanced technology that is scattered around the lands. For the purpose of this brief and time constraint I got, I'm going to concentrate only on two different races that are in a state of war and fights for the land and better resources (the futher development of the conflict history could be done as a part of the extended practice, where also more sides could be introduced).
Since I was asked to scale the number of races I'm looking at down, I've decided to work only on two different fractions that will compete in this world. Humans, first race, are going to be the technologically more advanced than the other fraction. They'll still use traditional to the genre things, like swords, horse carriages, leave castles or houses build from bricks. However, the remains of advanced technology they have access to, like medical inventions or more complex methods of creating swords/access to the better materials (resources), have impact on the way they dress and act. At this point I want to make it clear, that I'm not after creating a fantasy mix with steampunk, I really want to stick with the only one genre and only indicate via the designs the availability to the higher technology. As mentioned, I'll be looking at the eastern RPGs, however, designs will be influenced by medievil armours, town structures and way they build they houses will be based on the German and western-south Poland architecture.
Second race I'm going to introduce are Orcs, which are going to be still in the prehistoric era. They built their houses on the remains of the past, most advanced technologies, which are unable to use it. They have a very spiritual orientated tribe, with shamans and warriors. Weapons they have are really primitive and made from basic materials (also basic set of tools and skills). African tribes are going to be main influence when it comes to clothing, color pallete, marking on faces.
With this setting I'll be able to work with two opposite color themes, gold-white-blue for Human fraction and red-orange theme for Orcs (long list of ethnic groups in Africa on wikipedia, but mostly I'd mostly look at the Maasai tribe, since red is their favored colour; red also connects with warriors and bravery; and at the Ndembu - red is a symbol of life and health).
Type of game: MMORPG game, where player can choose to play either side of the conflict. As mentioned before, I'm only going to outline the basic reasons of the conflict in this module, but there is potential for the further development during the extended practice. Player will have to choose a character from one fraction and join a guild to battle enemy.
Next step is to make another list of the character classes I'm going to work on and look closer into the meaning of colors in various cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment