Saturday 18 October 2014

Adobe Creative Cloud Event|PPP3

On 15.10 I've attended an Adobe Creative Cloud Event, hosted by GBM Digital Technologies at Headingley Cricket Ground. Creative Cloud products were presented by Tony Harmer a senior solution consultant.

It's quite easy to get the idea of what this event will be about from the title. First we got introduced to the Creative Cloud and the pros over the previous boxed softwares, like the ability to access brushes (in case of Photoshop) from any machine without having to take them on the memory stick - after logging to the cloud, all the settings will be downloaded.The shift we seen now in the market is driven by the growing number of people using network connected devices, such as smart phones and tablets. It's also predicted that there will be rapid and big change in the industry within the next 3 years (the changes we seen so far in the last 5 years are mind blowing).
Second part of the presentation concentrated around mobile apps that Adobe is currently developing/offering to the CC subscribers on Apple devices. Softwares like Adobe Sketch and Line looked really interesting (ability to create brushes on the go or having virtual rulers is kinda cool), however, same tasks can be done with any other app available on the Android operated phones/tablets. For some reasons Adobe prefers to develop apps for iOS and avoid Android (Katherine asked this question and the answer was: more stable operating system).
On the site there was a 3D printer and 24' Cintiq. I've took part in the short Cintiq presentation. As any other Wacom product, it looks really good, moreover, the tilt function of the screen looked really nice, allowing user to work in various positions, including standing (which comes handy during long hours). However, after I heard few artists complain about it, I'm presonaly not sure if I'll ever purchase it. I'm really used to my tiny Graphire 4 and would rather go with something like Intuos Pro. As for buying subscription to the CC, I'm still not convinced with this system and whole idea. I'm aware that more and more products are being distributed this way, but no one can answer me a simple question: what will happen if I loose internet connection (and Virgin isn't particulary quick or keen on sending engineers out)? What happeneds to my files if Adobe servers goes down? I really dislike the idea of forcing people to stay connected and relying on their broadband providers, afterall clients are not going to care about cloud. And then, who will pay for it? Sure, there are number of things that could happen to the software bought in the store on the disk, but it's mostly something that you can control (like don't use disks as coasters ;) ). I can't control Adobe servers, I can't stop them from going down because I got deadline. Maybe it's just me being old fashioned and hopefully this things will improve in the next couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment