Thursday 23 October 2014

Business of Design|COP3

I've mentioned Feng Zhu videos few times before, this time I wanted to take a deeper look at this two part episode of Design Cinema. Business of Design, as title suggests, look closly at the production pipeline and the use of concept art.

In the first part Feng talks about the process of creating, in case of this demo, a dragon design for a game. He looks at the things like references, context, mythology, target audience, budget, wherever it's an indie developer or AAA title, client point of view and difficulties that certain designs can encounter during production (e.g. rigging and animating). It's important to figure out your target audience before drawing, look up and collected references that will influence design. When designing, keep in mind how the actual thing could work - even basic knowladge of 3D software comes in handy. Client point of view is also important - everyone would love to spend months on designing crazy looking, unique things, but at the end of a day, you have to listen to what client is saying and expecting from you.
Second part looks at actual process of thumbnailing and designing a dragon, that suits either a safe playing developer or adventerous indie taste. Feng discusses his thumbnailing process and how he arranges designs and prepare them to the presentable level. Even though I'm familiar with this workflow (I've been watching Feng's videos for years now), everytime I find something new and useful.

In case of my practical element, I've already started collecting reference images in form of moodboards, but I'm going to do some futher life studies of armour and weapons in Royal Armouries next week. I'm also going to spent a little bit more time thinking about audience for my concepts and take it into account when drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment