Tuesday 25 March 2014

Alien-Turntable|Machinima

Last part of the Biped Alien Task was creating an interactive turntable in Unity.

I started by importing my alien model into the assets (animations were baked before exporting from Maya) and re-connecting textures with the mesh. I set animation type to 'Legacy', so it can be played and I set all my 5 different circles by typing frame numbers and names into a clips section in animations menu.
I've then created a camera and directional light. With camera, I've used Camera Components - Mouse Orbit option, so camera can orbitate around the model. I used an empty game object as a target for camera, as aiming on the model wasn't really working well for me.
 Next step was applying script to allow animations be played random. I copy-pasted script from eStudio, changed 'idle' to the relevant names for my character animations (var anims=new Array("step idle","jump","walk","hip shake","hand up"). I used MonoDevelop for changing Javascript, not Unitron, as it started to crash on uni computers. I then dragged script onto the character in hierarchy. And that's all. Whole process is fairly straight foward and quite enjoyable.
I saved my turntable as a standalone.

No comments:

Post a Comment