Sunday 9 March 2014

Alien_UVmapping|Machinima

After I've finished modelling, next step was to UV map and texture my alien. Since we are going to use final animations in Unity (and Unity doesn't particulary like FBX files), I had to smooth my alien model (Mesh>Smooth) beforehand.
Suprisingly UV mapping wasn't as difficult as I expected. Hours of hard work last year payed off. I mostly used 'cut UVs' and 'unfold' options (but also tested the 'relax' options which came handy.. also had to flip inside mouth UVs). The only problematic areas were feet and head. I'm quite happy with final result - it's quite easy to understand map, only feet look a bit weird since I tried to different methods. Hands however were fairly straight foward job, with only few UVS overlapping around thumb area (but easy to untangle).

I've also watched this basic tutorial on UV and Texturing, really good refresher. Moreover I found UV mapping somehow a peaceful and rewarding activity. Afterall that hard work I was able to 'dress' my alien and make it look a bit prettier;).
I went for bright, bold colors and hand drawn detail. I'm pleased with final outcome (below), made one crazy alien ;).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment