Saturday 14 February 2015

Paper dolls and puppets|Extended Practice

With this brief I wanted to create something a little bit darker than my usual, colourful, happy characters. In my opinion puppets and paper dolls have this unique feel, that makes them still very appealing to kids, but in the same time leaves a lot of room for experimenting. When taking from Slavic tales as main source of inspiration, puppets seemed to be appropriate. There is something unique in terms of style about old animations (such as Wodnik Szuwarek) made in 70s and 80s. In attempt to recreate that vibe I've looked at various examples of puppets and paper dolls projects on Behance.

Puppet Making Portfolio is a project full of plasticine puppets made in specific style that can be appealing to some (and can be a bit creepy and disturbing to others). I especially like Goddess Venus puppet that was made with foam, liquid latex, resin, fabric and felting wool. There is something interesting about her face, such as big eyes and red nose that draws my attention (and makes me think it's suitable for this project).

Harap-Alb DIY paper puppet figures is another 3D project that cought my eye. I like the simplicity of the characters and use of basic shapes that were used to build them.

Kamikugutsu is a series of paper doll illustrations painted with acrilics by Watanabe Mayumi. Again, there is something magical and disturbing about them, faces are well painted and detailed. Proportions are a little bit off, you can tell there are many things wrong, but in a same time, they're not distorted completly.

Last project I've decided to include is Paper dolls. It features many paper doll with pin joints to enable movement. I found idea of having visible pins interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment