Saturday 28 February 2015

Brainstorm Challenges|PPP3

Brainstorm is a Facebook group created by proffesional concept artists, including John Park. As stated in a description: We focus on thinking, problem solving, story, function, purpose, and staging. Brainstorm is place of monthly design challenges that include various topics and allow use of any type of media - it can be a 2D image or a Zbrush sculpt, it doesn't matter.

I took part in two chalenges, first one was to redesign one of the environments from studio Ghibli film - Spirited Away. Second one was more relax, as it was to redesign Batman.


Let's be honest, I hardly ever draw any environments. They are outside of my comfort zone, and comfort zones are those cozy worry-free cocoons. However, it can get a bit boring staying all the time in a cocoon, so I've decided to challenge myself. There are many things wrong with this painting, composition is far from good, colours are a bit too saturated. Figure in front should be probably a lot darker, maybe reduced to just silhuette and moved a little bit more to the side so it will create a frame.Grassy hills should have more colours, especially the one far away - more blue tones to indicate distance. Nevertheless, I tried. And enjoyed the process while learning a lot.
Batman challenge was a chance for me to take a theme lightly and make something a bit cheerful and not serious. Many entries from this challenge had Batman presented in totaly different era and while those images where stunning, all of them had that serious vibe. Personally, I love seeing works that totally spin and twist theme and make something unique. These kind of works are usually also remembered better. I did my Batman as if he was just a growing up in Akihabara teenager, obsessed with cosplay and Hello Kitty. After adding 'Where the heck is Robin!?' I instantly thought of how Batman's trusty companion could look like. It would definately be interesting to take this idea a bit further and I might actually make it in the future.

After college I'm hoping to have a lot more time for these chalenges as they are really fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment