Wednesday 11 February 2015

Colour|Extended Practice

While writing my dissertation for COP3 module I became interested in colour theory. Back then I look at certain tones and meanings connected to them, which helped me better present my characters. This time however I looked at colour wheel for different reason.

Action of the animated video is going to take place during night, deep in a forest. Therefore colours have to be muted, subtle shades of blues, greens and browns will take big chunk of the used pallette. I tend to go for bright, vibrant hues but with this project I've to avoid those. Afterall everything has to make sense. I'll be creating my assets and backgrounds separately so I need a constant reminder of when the action takes place. However, there is room for experimentation, as the animation style is going to mimic puppet theatre. I just can't go over the board with bright and cheerful colours.

As for the meaning: blue is known for it's calming effect and it's a colour of trust, loyalty and honesty. It's also a safe colour, as many people tend to like it. Brown on the other side, signify stability, structure and support.

For the puppets I feel like going for grey-ish tones, backgrounds will also has to be subtle to create a sense of depth and keep everything together. Moreover, I'l try to keep outline of my pupets thick and chunky to make them stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment