Wednesday 18 February 2015

Boy - initial sketches|Extended Practice

First character I've decided to work on was Boy. First few rows of rough concepts shows him in more cartoony and human like form, which I wasn't particulary fond of. I felt like they looked too plain and lacked charm that will gasp viewers. Also first three rows of characters doesn't look puppet-like enough. However last row shows the different direction I decided to take. As mentioned previously, I wanted to characters to be stylised in a specific way, with thick outlines and puppet-like aesthetic. Bottom row is very I took this direction. I found the one in the middle the most fitting the description of Boy and used it as a base for futher exploration.

After finding style matching my criteria I've created another 3 drawings to explore puppet idea even futher. I find first concept the most suitable, however I like the way feet are drawn on the second one and shoulder joints of the third. With this I'll create a finished character design that'll be used in animation.

Also, I decided to go with a pins and 2D look, which will force me to use a specific way of animating, which will mimic more or less movement of real paper puppets.

No comments:

Post a Comment