Saturday 15 November 2014

Style Inspiration|COP3

Before processing any futher with my practical element, I had to ask myself one very important question - what style am I going to draw my concepts? Previously mentioned, that eastern MMORPGs were big inspiration for me and they still are. However, since I also want to include at least couple of concepts in my portfolio, I'll be better off painting them in a style thats so typical for western games, such as World of Warcraft. Blizzard's artists do the amazing job at rendering characters, same goes to the Riot Games and their insane splash art for League of Legends. Should I mention begging sequence of the Overwatch trailer? As much as I love jRPGs (and MMOs), artwork for these titles is, to put it simply, manga. Big eyes, small nose, cell or soft-shaded. And, if we look at Tetsuya Nomura for example, designs can be insane and amazing, but in the same time anatomy is very twisted. Unreal. Unhuman. It appears mostly to eastern audience and thats were people with those kind of skills get jobs. In terms of companies, Applibot and their card games are breaking this rule, but, in the end, manga is not the style I'm after.
So, painterly style, rimlight, crazy colors. In terms of design I'll still go back to the titles such as Final Fantasy or Ragnarok, but when it comes down to the technical aspect of drawing it's going to be more like WoW or LoL. That's the goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment