Tuesday 25 November 2014

ShowcaseSpectacular|PPP3

Showcase Spectacular took place at the Corn Exchange between 22-23 of November. I took part together with students from other courses (illustration, graphic design, fine art). Thanks to the awesome guys from JuJu and James from Student Union we got a really neat gallery space and a selling table. Our task was to put exhibition together, come up with a name, promotion and posters. Our group went with the LCA Collective name, which works realy good, since we are all Leeds Colege of Art students, with the range of work (watercolours pieces, massive oil painting, funky marker drawings, embroidery).

 On Friday before the event we went down to Corn Exchange to mount our work. Since the exhibitions I did last year, it was fairly easy for me, as I already got all my work framed. Also this year I had my business cards which I placed right next to my work (and on the table).  I tried to have a good variety of pieces on the wall, some of them Christmas themed. I've also made bunch of cards and prints to sell.

Corn Exchange was quite busy during the weekend and it was a really good opportunity for me to talk to other people, give business cards out (in hope for future commisions), chat with fellow creatives that had stalls next to us. I definately made some new connections, had tons of fun and would love it to do it again in the future. The only thing that was a bit upsetting was the placement of our stall - most of the people seemed to stick only with the upper floor or, if they went downstairs, to the inner ring of stalls, mostly consisting jewelry. We felt a bit out of the way and when in the end we gathered a good crowd fire alarm went on and scared poeple off. Oh well, that was just very unlucky. Still, compare to the last year (I did Showcase as a part of RAG event to support Yorkshire Air Ambulance) it was much more better and gave me extra confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment