Tuesday 25 November 2014

Feedback to my concepts|COP3

As I kept on drawing my character concepts I asked various people for feedback. Sandra Duchiewicz (concept artist at Creative Assembly) and Weronika Daniel (freelance artist) were my main source for quality comments and suggestions, but I also took it a bit further and posted some of my initial work onto LevelUp facebook group. Unfortunately I didn't get as much valuable feedback as I expected, ''likes'' are nice, but unhelpful. However posting my finished warrior concept brought more good advice.

When painting this concept I flipped canvas countless times as I felt there was something off with it. However, I was unable to figure out what was wrong. And this is where feedback from other people came in handy. Things others pointed out were:
  • spikes on his armour aren't in perspective;
  • metal thing on his knee isn't following leg;
  • right arm is too long;
I'm going to try and fix those mistakes later, for now I prefer to work on other pieces and get a break from this work - it'll be easier for me to see mistakes with the fresh eye.

I've started working on mage concept and based on Sandra's advice I've decided to cut his robes a bit shorter and avoid drawing tons of floating fabric behind him, as it would be really hard to put into game (extra rig and animations). I've also showed WIP stages to avoid really obvious mistakes. Even though I'm doing characters, they're outside of my comfort zone, not only in terms of style (painterly, no lineart) but also an unusual for me subject matter (first of all I rarely draw fantasy or if I do it's more stylized; men.. I don't really draw men that often; or more realistic faces that don't have silly expressions).

No comments:

Post a Comment