Sunday 15 March 2015

Shape Language|Extended Practice

Creating recognisable and easy to identify sillhouettes is always a challenging task. In this project I wanted to put a lot more thought into shapes and make sure they support told story.

Let's start with the characters:
  • Boy and Girl are kids so I wanted their shapes to be read as that. Since everything is made from paper, it was a bit challenging to keep their proportions right and suitable for kids (larger heads, small body). I kept Boy sillhouette rather long while Girl has a big hips and more rounder shape siginifing feminity;
  • Vodyanoy is a villain of the story and a water demon. With that information in mind I decided to use more angular shapes,which are typically associated with dark characters - sharp edges, rectangules and triangles. Also his body have a tear drop-like shape which signify his natural habitat - water.

As for the forest I decided to stick with strong, big, bold shapes to create trees and bushes. Moreover modular design was something I had to keep my eye on as it saves a lot of time while enabling me to create multiple itterations.

No comments:

Post a Comment