Friday 20 March 2015

Plants- Modular Approach|Extended Practice

I need to draw forest. And I want it to move and interact with characters! Okay, Betty, slow down... From the beginning I knew that there will be a point where I'll have to change my approach and create modular parts which will speed the whole process up.
Above is a simple sketch that explains this idea and shows few initial rough sketches that I quickly created. From it I've created a finished assets. Keeping each part of the plant separately makes it not only easier to animate but also allows to create multiple variations. Below is an example of what I mean by that:
  • 3 different bush assets where created with 7 elements;
  • each element can be scaled and manipulated, allowing to create complex parts of set fast;

  • colour of each element can also be adjusted in Photoshop, allowing for even more variety in design.
 It's also worth mentioning I used the same brush for lines (FernFlowerLineBrush) and shading was done with 'spongy' Sample Tip1 brush from Artur Fast brushpack, which gives a realy nice texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment