Thursday 11 December 2014

Rationale|Extended Practice

First task we were asked to complete for the Extended Practice module was to fill a pro-forma for Rationale. As the work done for this module will be displayed for a week as a part of Final Year Show I wanted to create something that will be easy to digest and in the same time interesting (and good enough to include in portfolio).

Since I'm very interested in concept art and illustration I wanted to somehow incorporate it with the knowledge of AfterEffects I got already from previous modules. My aim is to create a up to 2 minutes long video with the illustrations created specificaly for this brief. I'll use AE (3D layers, puppet tool) to create a parallax effect and a sense of 2.5D space.

Examples of what I want to achive:
  • https://www.behance.net/gallery/1498997/Adventure-Concept-Art
  • https://www.behance.net/gallery/5885617/Aliens
  • https://www.behance.net/gallery/10633661/Might-and-Magic-X-Legacy-Intro
  • https://www.behance.net/gallery/2651627/Kosmostumostow
Since I want to have a some sort of storyline that will tie up all the illustrations together, I'l be looking into different myths and folktales as a source of inspiration, however at this stage I'm not sure if the final piece will be more fantasy or sci-fi orientated.

In terms of art style I'm still debating wherever final piece should be semi-realistic or more cartoon-y, will do some tests one have a general story idea and decide on the one that works best. Personally, at this point, I lean towards more cartoon-y approach, mostly because I've been doing a lot semi-realistic character concepts lately. It also would be more challenging and a great opportunity to learn something new.

Sound - free sound libraries that are available online, but considering possible collaboration with the composer or having a voice-over.

In terms of resources I'll be looking at ImagineFX magazine (art related tips and inspiration), Framed Ink (composition and framing shots), various websites and livestreams, such as LevelUp!, FZDCinema, Sycra's YT channel, ctr+paint (great tips from Matt Kohr).

No comments:

Post a Comment